Monday, February 21, 2011

Exciting News!

We are very excited to be expanding our family. We are expecting a little girl on July 11 (Grandma Nonie's birthday, though of course the chances she is actually born that day are not so high)!

We told Jack a couple weeks ago, and though I do not think he really understands, he seemed happy. The conversation went something like this:
Me: Jack, guess what I have in my tummy?
Jack: What?
Me: A baby. And when she gets a little bigger, she will come out and be your sister.
pause. confused smile.
Jack: I love you Mommy. (pause) How do giraffes hug?
Me: I don't know.
pause
Jack: The doctor is going to have to help you get the baby out.
Me: That's right, but first she is going to get a little bigger, then she will come out and be part of our family.
Jack: I think the doctor is gonna hafta use some kind of a tool to get the baby out.
Me: Maybe.

Well, actually, I sort of hope not, but I identify with his confusion about how the baby can possibly get out. He is somewhat familiar with the idea because a friend of ours had a baby recently. We had the shower when she was pregnant, and then we went to visit the baby after she was born (her name is Naomi). This lead to a slight over-generalization because when Jack's nanny asked him what the baby was going to be named, he said, without hesitation "Naomi". He has also explained to people several times that "first the baby is going to grow up" before she comes out. He was very sweet with Naomi, offering her pacifier and little buddy (that he brought for her) when she cried. It remains to be seen whether such empathy tranfers to a little one living in his world.

Incidentally, I have since learned how giraffes hug. I was telling Naomi's mom this story, and she happened to have some photos of giraffes hugging. They stand next to each other facing the same direction and sort of rub their necks together--sweet. I showed these to Jack, and then he wanted to know how elephants hug. No pleasing that kid.

No comments: