Saturday, February 5, 2011

SoCal Boy

Jack is showing real signs of being a Southern Californian.

First, he is ready to engage in discussions of traffic and routes. When we got in the car to head for the airport for Christmas, it was rush hour, so I was checking the traffic on my phone and discussing the route.
Jack pipes in: "take the 405"
Me: "there is a lot of traffic on the 405, I think we should take surface streets"
Jack: "you take the 405 to the airport"
I managed to over-rule him, but after about 10 minutes en route not on the 405, he says "this is not the 405." (also note the very CA use of "the" to denote a freeway, no, not a highway)

Second, he is confused about cold and snow. We had talked a lot about how there would be snow in Colorado, and then there was none at all in Denver or Boulder. We went up to Breckenridge, where there was plenty of snow, and it was REALLY cold. Ben put him in the carseat on a sub-zero day, and he says (emphatically and with a God-why-have-you-forsaken-me hand motion) "WHAT... IS ... MAKING ME SOOOO COLD?" Ben says, "It's the air, the air is cold." Later, he explained to me "Mommy, the air was making me so cold .... in the DAYTIME." He has the idea that you might be asked to put on a sweatshirt or jacket at night, but cold when the sun is out?!?! He also told me "Mommy, I need to take my hat off because it is getting snow on it."

I was also amused that they did a 2-week unit on cold weather at his preschool (which he started in January, more on that later). They discussed snow and ice and explained how you have to wear warm clothes and mittens. They also did pretend ice-scating, which looked a lot more fun that real ice skating. They even had some mittens and hats in the classroom so the kids could see what that was all about.

No comments: